- About the Year of Forests
- Stay Involved
- Campaign News
- Media Coverage
- 10 Most Threatened Forests In The World
- Administration Announces Wood Promotion Strategy at U.S. International Year of Forests Celebration
- Forest Service To Promote International Year Of Forests
- Leavell and Politicos Sitting in a Tree"
- Morning Profile: Chuck Leavell, from Trees to Stones
- Rock n’ Roll Conservationists Celebrate America’s Forests, USDA Green Buildings Strategy
- Trees and 'Stones!
- USDA Green Building Initiative Announced at International Year of Forests Celebration
- USDA Leads the Way on Green Buildings, Use of Wood Products
- Virginia Students Celebrate International Year of Forests
In 2011, the National Association of State Foresters (NASF) joined with the USDA Forest Service and other forestry-minded partners to establish a campaign designed to raise U.S. awareness of the value of forests through the International Year of Forests celebration. With Forest Service support, NASF launched the “Celebrate Forests. Celebrate Life.” campaign as America’s official IYOF celebration.
On March 30, NASF, the American Forest Foundation (AFF), and the USDA Forest Service co-hosted a reception in Washington, DC to officially launch the U.S. celebration. More than 350 friends of forestry gathered at the reception to celebrate the full range of values forests contribute to our society with the full range of partners who protect and maintain them. Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack, along with members of Congress and the forest and conservation community came together for this special event in our nation's capital.
Entertainment was led by Chuck Leavell, tree farmer and legendary Rolling Stones keyboardist, along with the Second Amendments, led by Rep. Collin Peterson (D-MN), ranking member of the House Committee on Agriculture. Forest Exchange Boxes developed by AFF’s Project Learning Tree® were on display to portray unique forestry values from each state.
On May 21, 2011, the American Forest Foundation launched the first annual National Walk in the Woods Day to celebrate the International Year of Forests.
In early November 2011, the 92nd National Convention of the Society of American Foresters (SAF) served as a finale to the yearlong celebration as the nation’s largest gathering of forestry professionals convened to discuss the Year of Forests, forestry challenges, and cutting-edge scientific solutions.
Check out the “Celebrate Forests. Celebrate Life.” highlights from 2011.
For more information on AFF, NASF, the USDA Forest Service, SAF, and other organizations that celebrated America’s forests in 2011, please see the External Resources page.